Thursday 8 January 2015

A History of Writing

Ever since I was a spritely young thing I have been intrigued by storytelling, imagery and the written word. So with this in mind and my continuing obsession with purchasing an unnecessary amount of pretty notebooks and pens any time I'm let loose near a stationary shop, I think it's fair to say it should have been predicted that writing would shape my life as I ventured through my teenage years - as it did, being-schooled as I sat my GCSE's I would spend a good majority of any spare time writing in notebooks or typing for hours on our old-school computer. In-time it paid off, I managed to successfully find some of my works published in a few mainstream and lesser known publications. Keen on television also, I wrote my own stories with my  favourite fictional characters and on a punt sent off some ideas to a series in Australia, and as it turned out I got a rather, albeit brief, but positive response. This only spurred my desires further and I made a decision to study TV & Film Production at college as an alternative to sitting my A-levels.

yes
 
The next four years proved a transformation period as my skills as a writer were tested in various forms, I gained great moments of inspiration and lacked to write anything of worth at all on other occasions, I wrote two short drama scripts and even wrote a few drafts of my very first novel courtesy of NaNoWriMo. I gained a few more published credits, received a few rejection letters, completed my course with flying colours and gained a couple weeks of work experience with a company or two. I'd been accepted to study Creative Writing with Publishing in my university of choice and quite frankly things couldn't have proved much more positive on a career front.



Since starting my degree my writing progress has been undeniably varied with various high and low points, my genres of and styles have varied as they should do, but ultimately I've been a little disappointed that I haven't created or achieved more in this time. Although that said I did manage to finally get a rather big dream off the ground - I managed to create my very own magazine from scratch and am now close to publishing my second issue with contributors as far as America taking part, it's truly wonderful and a lot of people have been very kind and positive which is always so encouraging, although needless to say it is very hard work on top of a joint honours degree!



Little Ivy Magazine

Aside from the magazine however since starting university I haven't exactly had much published, until a very lovely email arrived in my inbox yesterday. At first I looked at it with intrepidation, thinking I don't really want to read another potential rejection, however I turned out to very pleasantly surprised. Turns out a poem I wrote during my degree has been selected to feature in Whim Magazine's February issue, which as a fan I am absolutely delighted about :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love & Peace - til' next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment